Pre-orders of the Tesla Model 3 opened today at 10:30PM EDT, one full hour before the car was even unveiled by Elon Musk. The Tesla website was under heavy load before starting to automatically redirect all traffic to the launch event site, but I got an order placed by about 10:45PM!
It may seem a little odd to pre-order a car without having actually seen it, but I wanted to make a few points about why I would do this.
First and foremost, Tesla without a doubt understands technology, software, and user experience better than any other car manufacturer on the planet, and a sight-unseen pre-order is my ever-so-small way of demonstrating my appreciation of their commitment to design and engineering.
Secondly, beyond the marketability of creating a car that is better for the environment I believe Elon Musk and Tesla genuinely want to change the world with this. In other words, I don’t sense that this is only for the money, there is heart in this. It has also been an excellent strategy to create high-end luxury electric vehicles (Roadster, Model S, and Model X) that are bought-and-paid-for by the top income earners, and then use that revenue stream to build something else amazing that can be mass produced a lower cost.
Thirdly, I gained a huge amount of respect for Tesla when they open sourced their entire electric car patent library, which also demonstrated to me that they’ve got heart in this.
Lastly, it was a pretty safe bet that the Model 3 would be amazing, and I am now happy to report that I certainly wasn’t disappointed. It’s absolutely beautiful.
In addition to being beautiful, Elon Musk presented limited, but impressive specs for a $45,000CAD vehicle:
- It has a 5-star safety rating in every category.
- It’s FAST, even the base model will do 0-100Kmph in less than 6 seconds (finally something to complete with my Mini Cooper S JCW).
- It will do a minimum of 350 kilometres on a single charge, but I expect it will be even higher by 2018.
- It comes standard with the auto pilot hardware.
- It seats 5 adults comfortably.
- The roof is 1 continuous pain of glass.
- It has front and rear trunks, and more cargo capacity than any gasoline car.
- It comes standard with super charging equipment (fast charging).
Other interesting fun facts Elon discussed include:
- They will have 7,200 super charging stations, and 15,000 destination chargers world-wide in 2017.
- There will be 441 Tesla locations by end of 2017.
- Their vehicle factory can make 500,000 cars per year.
- The Gigafactory is fully operational, and is the worlds largest producer of lithium ion cell batteries. This building also has the largest footprint of any kind in the world.
- Deliveries for the Model 3 are expected to begin at the end of 2017.
- There were 115,000 other people like me who pre-ordered the Model 3 in the last 24 hours before it was revealed.
Good for Tesla, better for the planet, and fun for my family. I’m looking forward to getting my Model 3 in 2018.